Sunday, September 23, 2007

Friday, September 21, 2007



I can't believe today is the final day of our journey. I've made so many new friends, shared laughs and tears and ridden some beautiful roads. In addition to riders raising money, some four-legged critters got in on the act. Sidney is one of two "donation dogs" that are with the Sisters of Scota.



Today we headed into Old Sacramento for lunch. We held our Medallion pass ceremony next to the Pony Express statue that is in Old Sacramento. My friend Rhonda works in Sacramento, but I didn't bring her phone number with me to let her know I was going to be in Old Sac. Fortunately, Rhonda is active in ABATE and at their meeting the night before, an announcement was made about the Pony Express coming to Old Sac. Rhonda was there to greet us as we pulled into town. It was great to see her again. Representatives from the local Susan G. Komen chapter were there with hats for all of the riders and to thank us for raising over $57,000 for the fight against breast cancer.


This was the last medallion pass ceremony of the ride. I was again honored to be chosen to wear the ring of memory. I managed to make it through my speech this time without breaking down, although tears were still flowing. I had lunch with Debbie from Oregon along with Tracy and Carrie from Geogia. We ate at Fat City which lived up to it's name...we felt full and fat after lunch! We walked around Old Sac and then headed back to Dobbins for the evening's closing ceremonies.


The closing ceremonies were held with the Medallion once again being assembled, but this time, for the last time of this journey. Awards for the bike show were presented (Josh won with the 1992 Harley-Davidson Heritage he was riding which belonged to his Dad who passed away from breast cancer) and a check for $57,000 was presented to the Susan G. Komen foundation representing money raised by the Pony Express riders.


It was difficult to say "good bye" to all of my new friends. I wish we had more time together but hopefully, we will once again ride together as Pony Express riders. This was an amazing week for me, filled with more emotions than I ever thought possible. I took quite a few pictures and they are posted here if you are interested.

4 comments:

Ada said...

I think your journey must be very enjoyable. Though the journey is about to end, u can go on your journey on a site called bikerkiss. U can make friends share share laughs---there.

Tandra said...

Im very proud of you Jen!! Every day I see the sign you gave me that says Sis-in-law by chance-Friend by choice!!

Thanks for sharing your ride experience!

Anonymous said...

I happend on your blog by chance, thanks for allowing me to relive the memories. The Pony Express Rides are some of the best in the nation and I hope to see you the next time around. Safe journeys my friend, your roomie Helldog.

roxtar said...

hi
halo